12 April 2019

Let the vegetable challenge begin, 2019

A kohlrabi growing next to a garden fence
Overwinted kohlrabi and brick stepping stone, Mar 2019
It's started:  I'm officially not buying vegetables for the forseeable future;  the start date was 5 April, 2019.  Yes, it's early:  in fact we're right in the middle of the Hungry Gap.  What can I harvest now that enables me to make such a commitment?
  • Chard
  • Miners lettuce and arugula
  • Spring onions and chives
  • Sorrel
  • Purple sprouting broccoli
  • Leeks
  • Spring cabbages
I've been sowing seeds like crazy for the next wave too:  peas and broad beans, lettuce, spring onions, turnips, radishes, carrots, beets and more.  Some of these might be ready in May (radishes hopefully, and maybe lettuce), while the rest will carry on in June and beyond, and the garlic should be ready then.  Most of the seeds have been sown at the allotment, and a long row of potatoes is planted.  I've also got a few trays of autumn/winter brassicas just sprouting up too;  there's lots of veg to come.

What's more, there's still a bit of preserved veg in the cupboard and freezer.  I discovered one last tub of frozen squash puree from the Christmas squash, and there's two jars of sauerkraut in the fridge along with a mostly full jar of zuccini relish and a newly opened salsa.  There's a couple dozen cloves of garlic left, plus half a jar of garlic salt.  When I did my last veg shop last week I got a bag of onions, a bag of potatoes, and some frozen peas and cauliflower.  But for now, we're going to focus on the garden (and eat a lot of chard).

The official end date for this year's challenge is 5 November, 2019:  seven months from now.  Perhaps this will be the year I keep going, and become 100% self reliant?  Maybe a bit ambitious!  But we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment