09 April 2019

Keeping up with chard (again)

A garden bed growing garlic, chard, and weeds
Garlic on the right, chard on the left, Mar 2019
I haven't deliberately planted chard for many years now;  I just let about a dozen plants go to seed every year and let it come up where it likes:  if it's in the way I pull it out--there's plenty more.  I started out with rainbow chard, with at least four different colored stems.  The majority now have white/light pink stems, though I still get the odd yellow, orange and red here and there.  I think I like yellow the best.

In a bid to keep up with the spring growth, we're having salads heavy on the fresh chard several times a week.  I send the son out with a colander and instructions to pick six to nine leaves--he's pretty good at picking a nice sized salad for us.  After rinsing and weighing the leaves, I roll them up into cigar shape and chop it into fine ribbons (chiffonade).  The strain I grow is mild and slightly crisp, making for a salad, including the stems.  Other ingredients include homemade red cabbage sauerkraut (from storebought red cabbage), storebough cucumber and black olives, homegrown spring onions and pickled beetroot (so sad we just finished the last jar) and our favorite creamy dressing: 

  • 1 tsp herb vinegar (take a big handful of fresh herbs of choice, a bottle of vinegar of choice, blend well in the blender, store in the original bottle);  any regular unflavored vinegar is fine too, fresh minced herbs optional (but recommended)
  • Pinch of garlic salt
  • 1 Tb cream
Mix together and taste.  Too sour:  little bit more cream.  Too mild:  tiny bit more vinegar

No comments:

Post a Comment