28 August 2018

Seeds so far, 2018

Close up of celery flower heads gone to seed
Ripening nicely, Aug 2018
On my quest towards self reliance, how's the seed saving looking this year?

Achocha

This one's pretty easy;  this funny spiky little cucumber relative has hard black seeds that are quickly scooped out before cooking the fruits.  I've dried a couple dozen already, and may do a few more as I continue harvesting.  I won't need a lot, as these plants have been very vigorous this year;  I would think six plants at most would be perfect.

Mange tout peas

This variety is a tall pea with purple flowers and yellow pods.  I like them because they're easy to spot against the green foliage, making for a quick harvest.  I've got some seeds saved, plus some still drying on the vine.  Hopefully enough to get fifty or so plants next year.

Celery

Last year's celery was such a reliable winter veg that I'm determined to keep growing it.  I let the last plants go to seed and they've been slowing maturing over the summer.  I've harvested quite a lot of seed (hundreds, I should think) by cutting off the tops and letting them fully dry in a paper bag.  While I will probably need only about 20 or so plants, the seed might come in handy for culinary use too.

Leeks

This one's not completely assured, as I've tried and failed to grow from my own seed in the past (never germinated).  However, I've had a couple flower heads actually make little bulbils  which I have picked off and transplanted, both in a pot/planter and in the ground, some of which are still alive and growing.  As far as I'm concerned, the more leeks the better, and I'm still trying to establish a perennial patch or--preferrably--several patches.

Not yet...

Tomatoes and cherry tomatoes, squash, pumpkin, runner beans (maybe;  harvest has been very disappointing), chard, cucumber (again, maybe). 

No comments:

Post a Comment