21 August 2018

Heat loving veg

A pair of green squashes growing in a garden bed
Can you see another just behind the first? Aug 2018
We had a weekend of rain last month and then one more this month:  showers first, a full day of rain, then showers to finish.  No rain in the month between (or the month previous).  Ah well.  Weird weather.  At least I've got some good heat loving vegetables. 

Tomatoes

I'm picking a good handful of cherry tomatoes every day now, mostly from two planters, but there is a third as well as a couple small plants in the Misc bed.  Regular cordon tomatoes in my cold frame--now sans lid of course--are loaded and ripening one by one, and the five plants in the Misc bed are only a little behind (none ripe yet), though they're a bit swamped by neighboring achocha vines and some very happy squashes.

Squashes

I saved seed from last year's red squashes (themselves originally from a supermarket squash), but I don't seem to have any growing this year--there was a slight labelling mixup and I wasn't sure what I had until they started fruiting.  I do, however, have a big green variety of the same type (kuri/hokkaido, also from a supermarket squash), which is taking over the Misc bed.  I've counted six big squashes now, and it's still trying to put out a few more--possibly a little too late to fully mature, but we'll eat them as summer squash if we must.

I've got one pumpkin, small but coloring up.  There is one other squash I know of, an acorn type, but it doesn't seem to be managing--it put out a small fruit that tried to grow then went moldy, and hasn't done another.  It's a bit late now.

And of the summer squashes, the regular zuccini has given us a moderate harvest off three plants, with the patty pan type just beginning to fruit--hopefully it'll take off this month.  I've never been in a position of too much zuccini/summer squash.  I don't know how other people manage it--I always wish we had more.

Cucumbers

As I mentioned previously, my cucumbers are suffering from wilt.  Dying actually.  We got the promise of a magnificent harvest, but it was suddenly cut short, with all those little cucumbers shrivelled up.  Oh well.

Sweetcorn

It's tall.  It's got ears formed.  I don't know if they're fully pollinated (there's only five plants), but they look good at least!
Close up of a green pepper growing amidst a lobelia plant
Sweet or hot? Another labelling mixup, Aug 2018
Peppers

All the peppers are growing in planters on the patio.  There are little fruits formed on a couple;  I think they are a sweet variety, though I sowed seeds for chilis too which don't seem to have flowered yet.  The only time previously I successfully grew peppers they were in a flimsy little portable greenhouse, long since collapsed.  Will this be the year I harvest an outdoor (albeit still incredibly pampered) crop?

And lastly,

Melon

Melon??  Well, it's making little fruits, and the vine is big and strong, tied securely to its support in a planter.  I have my doubts we'll get anything to eat off this one, but it's the furthest I've ever got with a melon plant (in the past, the slugs have massacred them at seedling/transplant stage).  Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment