23 March 2018

Working in and eating from the Brassicas bed

Earlier this month I spent my meager garden time in the Peas and Beans bed.  Now I'm concentrating on the Brassicas bed, which is technically the same bed.  Yesterday I transplanted about six cauliflower plants from the cold frame into their growing positions;  I did six or so others a week (ish) ago.  They're all growing amongst the dwarf broad beans which are incidentally starting to form buds.

And I finally harvested the first winter cabbage, and I have my eye on another couple.  We had a second small meal off the remaining Brussels sprouts, and will have another few meals off the leafy tops next.  I sowed two trays of sprouts seeds, both new varieties to me.  Hoping they're a bit more caterpillar resistant than the previous variety (Seven Hills I think).  The trays are outside on the patio table and have already endured a snowfall--spring weather from now on please!  My sprouts need it.

Also harvested a bit of kale from the remaining two plants, and a smaller bit of mizuna which has self seeded every winter since I first put it down several years ago.  Mizuna's spicy flavor is a little too powerful for me raw but adds wonderful depth when cooked in a stew or casserole. 

Finally, the spring cabbages in the ground are still measly, but the ones in the cold frame are nearly bursting out:  so big!  In fact I think they're as big or bigger than the winter cabbages, though with softer leaves.  I look forward to eating them.

No comments:

Post a Comment