27 March 2018

Hand-pollinating the almond tree once more

A flowering branch next to a breeze block wall
Almond blossom against the garage, Mar 2018
Last year I tied down all the big branches of my little almond tree, to make a weeping/arched form.  I untied them a few weeks ago, and the branches are all nicely arched down, mostly within reach.  There is a good proportion of new growth not arched, but I'll deal with that later in the year when it's in full leaf again--some will be tied down, some will be pruned off.

Since it flowers so early in the season, I like to take the precaution of hand-pollinating as not many bees are out yet.  I've used a little paintbrush in the past, but have been using feathers for the last couple of years.  There's always a few floating about, thanks to our flock of chickens.
A woman posing with a stick with a feather tied to the end
Me and my pollinating stick, Mar 2018
I found a nice brown wing feather this year and fixed it to the end of a stick;  now I can reach most of the flowers from one spot, instead of having to maneuver around the (slightly awkwardly placed) tree.  I can also reach the highest ones, just too far above my head.

We had the coldest winter the almond's ever experienced--it's still a young tree--and it's flowering later than usual.  I was worried the last snowfall (last week!) might have caught the blossoms, but luckily only three had opened by that time.  I'd be sad to lose the crop, especially since it's covered in hundreds of little pink buds this year.  I'll do my best to pollinate them all over the next few weeks.

As an aside, my little peach tree in a planter is finally forming buds for the first time this year:  about a dozen.  It lived near its cousin the almond all last year, but I put it back on the patio to warm it up and to keep an eye on it.  As there aren't many flowers I'm not counting on fruit, but I'll certainly hope for the best.  It too will get the pollination treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment