20 August 2024

Kohlrabi, 2024

 

Yellow and black striped caterpillars defoliating a kohlrabi plant
That time of year again, August 2024

A badly damaged kohlrabi leaf with small dried-out husks of caterpillars
The parasitic wasps got these ones but a bit late, August 2024
Pak choi and small weeds growing under transparent insect mesh, speckled with raindrops
Pak choi coming along nicely, Aug 2024

A garden bed planted up with small lettuce seedlings, covered over by a variety of small wire trays and a bicycle wheel on its side
Lettuce fortress in the kohlrabi bed(protecting against pigeons and ducks), August 2024

 

Close up of a purple kohlrabi growing in a weedy garden bed
Like a purple alien, August 2024

Well, the cabbage caterpillars are out in force, though I'm doing my best to keep them off the cabbages, pak choi and purple sprouting broccoli--the only other brassicas I have now are kohlrabi, and they are covered in caterpillars!  I've harvested about a quarter of them very recently (mainly for dongchimi and kkakdugi, another type of kimchi) and replanted the emptied space with lettuce seedlings.  At least the caterpillars don't eat the actual kohlrabi, just the leaves--up until a week or two ago, we had been enjoying those leaves as a kale substitute.

However, it's just about time to clear the rest of the kohlrabi anyway, as I'm going to replant that bed with more lettuce and pak choi, hopefully some fennel, and maybe cauliflower to overwinter.  I'll probably break out my other piece of insect mesh for this;  the first one is spread over the first pak choi, mini daikon radish and a few cabbage--and I have two smaller pieces covering radish and turnip beds at the allotment.  

I've already picked the biggest of the kohlrabi, and have begun on the medium-sized ones;  there are quite a few tall thin ones too, probably not worth bothering about.  Peeled and grated it also makes a very nice coleslaw (kohlslaw) and I use it cut into matchsticks in a stir fry too.  Last year I tried both freezing and dehydrating, but wasn't much pleased with either.  I think I'll carry on with the kimchi, a much better option.

No comments:

Post a Comment