19 March 2024

Life vs gardening: not enough hours in the day

March is a busy month for me, partly because it's the start of the gardening year for my climate.  But my life is also busy with two birthdays, plus work, school, and extracurricular activities.  Often I feel like there just isn't enough time in the day to get everything done; there's just too much to do.

Close up of a bright yellow daffodil
Only two daffodils this year: not enough! March 2024
I sowed my broad beans individually in pots and toilet paper tubes more than a month ago and finally I've seen a couple start to emerge: about 5 from 160+ (so far).  It's been kind of cold for the past several weeks so I hope they've just been biding their time now that it's warmed up to above 12C.  

I do really need to get some more seeds going, but I've held back because of the cold.  This past weekend was the first nice weather we've had for a while, but it coincided with those unavoidable life events (the son's orchestra concert and the daughter's birthday party).  I did at least manage to drag the husband and daughter up to the allotment for an hour afterward.  And then stopped by after work/school with the daughter yesterday.

Multiple bare brown branches covered in pink blossom
Almond still in flower, March 2024
Luckily seeds earmarked for March usually still have enough growing time when started in April instead, and our two week Easter break from school/work is coming up very soon.  However, I better get most of it done in those two weeks, or I'll have missed my chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment