26 March 2024

Hoping for some warm weather for seeds

Warm then cold.  But consistently wet!  It's spring all right.  The start of our two week Easter break at the weekend was sunny and dry, but yesterday went cold and rainy again.  On Sunday the kids and I went to the allotment--lovely sun but biting wind--for some sheet mulch of course, and to fill up a few more of my planters with compost.  The son (age 14) went home after this but the daughter (age 4) was having so much fun making mud pancakes and playing with bugs she asked if we could stay for longer.  So while she was busy I hoed out some rows in expectation of broad bean transplants, hopefully by the end of the holiday.

Last week there were about five sprouting up (of 160+);  this week I'm up to about 30 emerged broad beans. I've begun taking the seedlings up to the allotment, one tray at a time.  They are still only just a little sprout with two leaves;  I need them to have a little bit of root poking out the bottom before I feel confident of transplant (a few do).

I also pricked out my tomato seedlings, seen below, into modules;  they are still hanging out in the kitchen.  Not a lot bigger yet but hopefully they'll grow.  I only have two of my usual variety of salad tom this year as most of my saved seed didn't sprout.  The plum and cherry tom seeds I saved were more successful--hope the plants are too.

A seed tray with tiny tomato seedlings randomly sprouted
Twigs dividing the three varieties, March 2024
Also taking advantage of the sun at the weekend, I sowed trays of leeks, beets, lettuce and kohl rabi;  all are wrapped loosely in plastic to protect against the worst of the weather, and stacked on my patio bench waiting for germination.  Even though I start most of my seeds in trays (rather than directly sowing in the ground), I start most of them outdoors;  only a few get the privilege of the kitchen windowsill.  I don't have enough room for them all!  Or time to acclimatize them either.  It means I have a shorter time to get them all going, but at least I have the space for them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment