14 November 2023

Root veg

I pulled up my largest black radish only to discover it had been mostly hollowed out by slugs.  What should have been an 8 oz root ended up being just 2.  None of the other radishes seem to be so big, though there are probably several which are around 2 oz.  After this disappointment, I decided I should probably dig up some of my other roots, and accordingly have retrieved one very large parsnip, beautifully unblemished and a whole 12 oz.  Hopefully the rest of the parsnips at least will be equally successful;  but I won't be in a hurry to dig them all up.

Additionally, I've been cutting the fennel one by one, ranging between 4 and 8 oz each.  These have been better growers than the radishes, with only a little slug damage.  Technically not a root veg, but it certainly looks like a bulb.

There are still some small beets at the allotment which I will try and harvest soon--the son and I have been going up maybe once a week to sheet mulch, but the weather isn't cooperating!  I'm going to try and stop by after work in the next day or two.

I had only a few carrots come up, probably because it was so dry after I sowed them in spring.  And then the few I've pulled up haven't been worth much:  small and bug damaged.  Next year I might grow them in the containers I grew cucumbers in this year, though I will probably have to top them up with some sand to lighten the compost in them.  Carrot fly can't reach them if they are 18 inches off the ground, and hopefully I can keep them better watered too.

No comments:

Post a Comment