28 November 2023

First frost, November 2023

 Although we were forecast frost last month, and subsequently harvested all our squashes, it's not till this weekend it actually touched down.  The son, daughter and I all visited the allotment that morning to do a little sheet mulch and clear back some of the encroaching brambles and it was cold!  It's maybe a little early for it, but a frost in the garden and allotment means death to slugs and snails.  Or at least a setback in the population, so I definitely need some good hard frosts in winter.

Speaking of slugs and snails, every time I turn something over or pull something out at the allotment, I uncover an unholy amount of them.  I really desperately need some frost, but the best thing would be some concentrated duck action there--and for that I need some secure fencing.  I had hoped this would be the year, but funds don't allow it;  maybe next year.

However, my own garden is well fenced and my two remaining ducks (Girl Duck and Boy Duck) have been free ranging for a few weeks.  I still have some veg in the beds but the only thing I've excluded them from is the pak choy, about five or so heads surrounded in temporary wire.  I would really like to let the chickens free range too, but I don't trust them around the remaining veg;  unlike ducks who are mainly focused on slugs and bugs--and don't scratch up the soil--chickens much prefer plants and I don't dare let them at my radishes, fennel, chard, etc, unsupervised.

No comments:

Post a Comment