03 January 2023

Growing firewood

I'm not quite prepared to do the year end food totals until next week (though I haven't posted the monthly totals here, I've been logging them on paper).  I've had my blogging break, and my life is somewhat on track.  Sort of.  I'll see if I can get back into the swing of things here.

This weekend the whole family got together out back to start coppicing our various hedging trees for next year's firewood (kindling, actually).  I have been saving trimmings from the garden for several years now;  the hedges are hawthorn and laurel, but the wood includes some elder, rose and fruit tree prunings too--among others.  The hawthorn and laurel both take coppicing very well, producing a lot of growth after a big cut--these I try to leave several years between trims, though I stagger the harvest and try to coppice a couple every year.  It sort of depends on which is the tallest/bushiest.

We don't produce enough trimmings to run our wood stove on, but certainly enough for kindling and for barbecues in summer.  No trees are killed for the sake of our barbecue--coppicing is a renewable, free source of wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment