13 September 2022

Brassicas in autumn 2022

A house exterior wall with patio, water butts, pergola, and plants in pots
No grapes worth picking on this vine, Aug 2022
After a caterpillar-ful August, the cabbages are showing signs of recovery, as are the purple sprouting broccoli.  The Brussels sprouts don't look too happy though.  I've never been very successful with the sprouts, and it looks like this year won't be any different.  Even trying different varieties hasn't improved my luck.  Maybe it's time to give up (I feel like I'm just missing something though, as other people at the allotments have amazing sprouts).

I believe the ducks helped keep the caterpillars under control (to some extent), and I know the parasitic wasps have been about, as there are many little dried up caterpillar husks.  I've even seen the regular big wasps out, and watched one sucking out the juicy bits from a big fat caterpillar.  In addition, I think getting the cabbages into good soil--and getting them in fairly early--meant they were big enough to withstand some pressure once the hordes descended.  The sprouts had less time:  maybe I needed to start them earlier? 

I've cleared away about half of the kohl rabi now (the biggest ones), and most of it has gone in the freezer for winter.  I can't believe how well they turned out--not really troubled by pests (thank you ducks) and nearly all of them swelled up nice and fat.  I'll definitely grow some next year.  They are a bit of a pain to peel if eating raw (they make a very nice coleslaw when grated), but to cook I just dump them whole in the slow cooker for several hours, let cool and then peel.  

Speaking of swelling up, the swedes (aka rutabagas) made a good start but then had too much duck for too long I think;  the ducks ate their leaves and that was it--they did the same to the remaining lettuces.  Still, I can't really complain as the ducks have done far more good than harm, and there were only about a dozen or so swedes left after the pigeon had at them in spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment