09 August 2022

So big!

I've been harvesting the largest kohl rabi and gradually clearing out that bed;  in their place I may put down some of the Brussels sprouts which have been growing on in a small holding bed, a la John Seymour.  I was going to plant them at the allotment, but have decided against it.  The purple sprouting broccoli may still go up there (also growing on), but I've yet to decide. 

A bed of cabbage plants growing
Maybe I planted a little too close? Aug 2022
Despite having a little more room amongst the kohl rabi (not pictured), the cabbages (above) seem to be way too crowded.  I knew they were supposed to be big, but I didn't realize they'd be that big!  Some look like they are trying to form heads though I think they're several weeks away from harvest still.
A small garden bed densely growing with various vegetables including corn, lettuce and tomatoes
The tallest corn is as tall as me (I'm 165cm) and the toms are not far off, Aug 2022
The photo above was taken at the first of this month (August).  Compare with the photo taken at the first of July.  I can hardly believe they could grow so much!  I pinched out the growing tips of the tomatoes last month when they reached the tops of their supports but the corn is still going upwards.  Neither the corn or tomatoes are ready for harvest but this bed has produced a lot of lettuce and some fresh cilantro and dill.  The (few) swedes are also beginning to bulb up.

Why so big?   I attriubute it to soil building, mainly.  Chickens and ducks have been a big help in that, and I also think being no-dig is a factor, as clearly the soil life is happy underneath.  The weather has been favorable too with a good proportion of sun and rain;  I think it's just all come together this year for a Big party.

No comments:

Post a Comment