23 August 2022

In summer, but looking to winter 2022

A small achocha fruit growing in the shade
Achocha--it self seeded (from a self seeded plant last year!) August 2022

It pays to start planning two seasons ahead when growing your own food.  To some exent, I do this (but I'm still not great at it).  Right now, late summer, I've started some more lettuce seed, along with spring cabbage and cauliflower seed.  I hope to get a few more things going for autumn/winter growing, like chard and mizuna.

But my main planning was done back in spring, when I sowed and planted the main crops, some of which I have been busy preserving for winter;  I froze a few little bits earlier this summer but am on to the main harvest now.  Nearly all the beets and kohl rabi have been cooked and frozen, and I'm starting to dehydrate the first of the regular tomatoes (we're eating the cherry toms fresh);  I'm also dehydrating figs.  I hope to preserve apples and plums soon, and if I'm lucky I'll get some corn (it went out late and is a long-season variety to boot).

I also sowed and planted the main winter crops already:  the cabbage, kale and Brussels sprouts.  These all have some degree of growth, though all have been set back by those pesky caterpillars.  Next year I'll have to plan ahead (again) and try to rig up some butterfly netting.  I should buy some later this year--I've got a few small lengths, but I'll see if I can get a big piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment