16 November 2021

Reimagining the strawberry beds

This year I was concerned our strawberry bed at the allotment had been choked by grass and wouldn't produce.  I did my best to sheet mulch in between plants and the husband transplanted some of the smaller plants/last year's runners to a cleared spot, and we ended up having a good enough harvest, considering.  

However, here in the middle of November, both the old bed and the new bed are all grass once again, with hardly a strawberry leaf to be seen.  I think I will be simply sheet mulching (again) on top of both beds in the hopes of starting afresh with something else.  

Last month I took four or five large containers, originally from my patio at home, and filled them up with newly made compost and strawberry runners.  For at least the next few years I plan on growing strawberries in containers, which are far easier to get grass out of!  It means I'll probably need to net them against birds, and slugs also might be more of an issue;  but hopefully I'll get at least a similar harvest to this year's, and no grass (or easily eradicated grass).

No comments:

Post a Comment