12 April 2021

Flowering

Just this weekend I used up the frozen Morello cherries from last year;  I made a big cherry crumble which was a hit with the family.  Last year's harvest amounted to about half a large freezer bag.  Admittedly, not a huge harvest.  It's a small tree, but I'm hopeful that its two friends the Kordia and new addition Stella will add to the bounty this summer.  All three are just opening their lovely white buds.

The Czar plum tree is also flowering, along with the Robijn almond (it's a beautiful pink).  Last year we didn't get many plums, but there are many more of its white blossoms this spring (though it's not as profuse as the almond).  I've seen and heard the bees working their magic in both.

However, I'm a little concerned about the frosts we've been getting recently.  It seems as though the blossoms are still ok, but I'm not sure what to expect if they get too frosted:  do they fall off immediately, or will I have to wait to find out until the fruit forms (or not)?  There have been several sharp frosts this week, and though all of my trees are in somewhat sheltered positions I'm not extremely confident about them.

The two apple trees and various soft fruits are not yet flowering, though the bright orange berberis is.  I hope it's covered in its tiny purple berries this summer;  though we don't really eat them ourselves, we love to watch the birds enjoying them.  And the chickens love them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment