16 February 2021

The end of an era (of garlic)

 We ran out of garlic last week.  I don't know how many years it's been since we *stopped buying garlic--both for cooking and planting--maybe even before the start of this blog.  But last year's harvest up at the allotment (my first time growing it there) just wasn't sufficient and we've used up the last (small) head.

Actually pretty much all of the heads were small.  Maybe the soil wasn't good enough, or maybe it was too hot and dry in the month before it ripened, but last year's harvest was thin at best.  I saved the biggest heads for planting out  (again at the allotment--I hope I don't regret it) and the rest was meant to last us a full year.  Will we go without garlic until harvest?  That would mean waiting till June at the earliest, or likely July.  We like garlic, and we've already been going easy on it to make it last;  instead of two or three cloves in a recipe, we were using just the one.

*We did actually buy garlic last year:  extras for planting out.  Since the harvest was so bad I wanted some fresh stock to make sure this year's harvest would be more numerous.  I hope it is!  I really dropped the ball with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment