23 February 2021

Garden therapy

In some ways I look forward to winter as a break from the hard work out in the garden.  It gives me a chance to pick up some of my indoor pursuits, like knitting and other crafting and making.  However, I do find too much of the indoors isn't so good for my mental wellbeing, and this time of year--not quite spring but warming up, getting lighter--I start to miss my garden.  I suppose gardening in the tropics must be hard work--no season of rest like the temperate regions.  I do some very occasional garden tasks in winter:  maybe for 10-20 minutes one day a week (or every other week);  some things still grow here in winter.  For instance, I potted on some overwintered cauliflowers this past week.  It was nice to be out there doing something, no matter how small.

But it's been windy and not very sunny out there, despite a rise in temperature.  Not good for most garden tasks:  I keep putting off the weeding because of the weather!  Also not good for just hanging out there.  On sunny, calm days I like to just step outside and inspect the grounds.  Maybe sit down on the patio bench for a little while.  It feels good.  I haven't sat on that bench since last year and I miss it.  It's not even a very comfy seat!  But being outside in the calm and feeling the sun makes it much comfier.

Having my garden and this blog has helped me through some hard times.  I don't mention much of my non-garden life here, but we all have our own tragedies anyway, talked about or not.  And the past year has been a hard year for everyone, we can all agree.  I'm thankful for the small peace my garden gives me.

No comments:

Post a Comment