15 December 2020

Catching up quickly before Christmas 2020

Well, the chickens and ducks are home and enclosed--and very dissatisfied with their lot.  The husband and son set up the yard on the Saturday, then I assisted in putting the netting over the top on Sunday, while the daughter was asleep;  it was windy and rainy and we all got very cold and wet.  The husband and son said only a couple chickens escaped (!!) during the transfer from allotment to garden, but they're all safely home now, and none have escaped here.  Yet.

We're looking forward to another lot of fresh garden veg for our Christmas dinner, including Brussels sprouts, a very fine cauliflower, and greens.  Not to mention some pumpkin (does it count as fresh if it was picked in October? It's hanging out with some friends on the dresser in the living room).  I also made the Christmas pudding last month, after saying I would, then saying I wouldn't, then relenting again.  I made it with our own dried plums, dried figs, and of course our own eggs;  unlike last year, a few hens are still laying for us.  

There's still a little more tidying to do out in the veg patch, and some more sheet mulch at the allotment;  and maybe I'll start one tray of onion seeds indoors at the very end of the month, but really that's it for gardening for 2020.  I'm taking the rest of the month off for blogging, and will return in January 2021 with a grand total of food--I've still been recording my daily/monthly totals on paper, just not been logging them here;  it'll be a big job totaling it all up.  I look forward to seeing how it compares with previous years.  

Until then, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment