27 May 2020

Too dry...

Like last spring (and the summer before), we have gone several weeks without any rain.  In fact, I think we've had one rain since the start of lockdown, 10 weeks ago;  it wasn't even enough to refill our rain barrels either--they're empty.

However, my other strategies for conserving water are in full swing:  the washing machine exit pipe has been directed to the bed nearest the house;  there is very little bare soil in any of the beds, and I continue to add organic material to the soil such as the contents of the chicken house.  Only the soil around the edges of my patio (nearest the house) is dry enough to require watering.  So far.

However, some of the fruit trees are showing signs of stress:  the Kordia cherry has dropped some immature fruit and the fig has lost some smaller branches.  I've been trying to give all my trees a big drink about once a week, so as not to lose any more fruit.

Today the son and I mostly emptied the pond with buckets and went around watering trees and vegetables with it:  the blackest, smelliest, grossest water ever (ducks are disgusting, honestly).  I'm still planning on revamping the pond both for looks and for ease of draining/filling (with an option to refill with rain water), which will incidently add another water source for my plants.

I really hope it rains soon!
Two ducks drinking from buckets in a garden
Washing in a bucket, Apr 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment