12 November 2019

The Official End of the Vegetable Challenge

As I wrote previously, I broke the Vegetable Challenge a month early this year, only achieving six months total without buying any vegetables (the goal was seven).  Thankfully, the national state of affairs has proved my precautions as yet unneeded, although we may very well be panic buying vegetables again in January, when Brexit is now postponed to.  Still, I doubt I'll be starting next year's Challenge that early, so I won't be breaking my own rules in doing so.

That said, even though I broke the letter of the Challenge, I still followed the spirit and we did not eat any of the bought vegetables until the official end date last week:  we dried them, froze them, stashed them in the cupboard but did not eat them.  We could have followed letter of the Challenge to the official end very painlessly, and even beyond.  There are still fresh greens in the garden, and we have plenty of stored and preserved garden veg, fruit and nuts, which should in all honesty last us till the end of the month, if not the year.

I don't regret breaking the Challenge in this way, despite proving unnecessary.  I will be buying and storing extra food for the time being, as well as trying to grow and store as much as my own as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment