11 September 2018

Tomato summer

This is the first year since I've been gardening here that I've had a full tomato harvest:  it looks like I might not have any green tomatoes left.  Even those plants out in the main garden have ripened their fruits--last year I only got a couple off those plants;  the bulk of them went to make green tomato salsa.  Looks like I won't be making green salsa this year!  I said to the husband, only half-joking, "what do you do
with red tomatoes?"  He joked back:  "throw them out, they must have gone bad."

So it's red tomato salsa!  There's half a big jar of salsa fresca in the fridge, made with spring onions, achocha (supposedly a green pepper substitute, seeing as I don't have peppers ready yet), garlic, and a touch of lemon juice and tabasco (no chilis yet either).  I'd like to make some bottled/shelf stable salsa, but the recipes call for more onions and peppers than I have--i.e. none--which would break my No Bought Veg rule.

Last year I froze my entire green tomato harvest until the end of the veg challenge (November), and then bought onions and peppers to make salsa. I've got a freezer bag full already--with hopefully enough to fill at least a second bag--the challenge ends 27th November.

No comments:

Post a Comment