14 December 2018

What's left?

A patch of broccoli plants staked and growing in a garden
Purple sprouting broccoli, nicely staked, Nov 2018
While 2018's No Buy Vegetable Challenge is over, that's not to say the vegetables are over.  We're still eating from the garden every day, whether fresh or preserved.  I'm saving the last big green squash (picked in September) for Christmas dinner--the Brussels sprouts too:  they're still hanging out in the Holding bed, waiting to be harvested.  In fact, we'll probably have some fresh chard and/or celery for Christmas while we're at it.

I didn't harvest a lot in November, but we ate plenty from our stores:  all but one of the big squashes (plus the little Halloween pumpkin), some dried chard and kale, two big jars of sauerkraut as well as some frozen cabbage, a big jar of zuccini relish, and more. 

I still have a lot of dried chard (it goes best crumbled into a stew), two small jars of pickled beetroot, another full jar of sauerkraut, and the big batch of salsa I've finally made, now that I'm allowed bought onions.  Actually, there's half a jar of fermented salsa fresca still in the fridge which I'm savoring as slowly as possible (it's so tasty, and I won't be able to make it till next autumn/late summer).

No comments:

Post a Comment