13 November 2018

Growing for Halloween

Four pumpkins of various sizes and colors on a table, one a small carved jack o'lantern
All homegrown, Oct 2018
Well, we did it.  My softball sized pumpkin became a cute little Jack O'Lantern.  I think in future all our carving pumpkins should be this small--after I cut the top out, it only took one scoop of a spoon to get the entirety of the seeds and pulp out.

I grew that tiny yellow pumpkin, too (variety unknown), from a seedling given to me by a friend.  It's the size of an old-fashioned tea cup, I think.  I do want to eat it, but it's so small (and cute) that I'm not sure it's worth the effort.
A boy in a skeleton costume standing next to a table with four variously sized and colored pumpkins
Size comparison, Oct 2018
And those two green/white squashes are still decorating that table in my living room, along with their youngest--though similarly sized--sibling (not pictured).  The son and I carved the pumpkin on Halloween itself (he drew the face on and I cut it out), then I peeled and chopped it for stew the next day:  a perfect size for one meal, and very tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment