It's continued to be mild and dry for the most part, and at the allotment my cucumbers and tomatoes continue producing, albeit more slowly. I've started harvesting early leeks, fennel and winter radishes; the last two only went down at the end of July/start of August. They're all bulbing up nicely regardless. It probably helped that this large bed received a huge amount of well composted horse manure in spring: I grew Charlotte potatoes here earlier this year. Incidentally, though probably unrelated, it's the only vegetable bed not mulched with wood chips this year (we mulched the potatoes with straw/manure from the stables on site, some of which still remains on the bed).
The whole family turned out to the allotment on Sunday to plant the garlic bed; I'd been forking this bed gradually after clearing away the courgettes aka zucs and squashes--it was full of bindweed and couch grass runners. We raked off the wood chips, forked it over again, planted the (newly bought) garlic cloves in rows and recovered with the original wood chip mulch. I'll try to get a couple more wheelbarrow loads of chips to top it up too. I know we didn't get all the roots, but if I can keep it well mulched, any remaining weeds and grass should come out a lot easier when we harvest the garlic next May/June.
The son and I planted a sack of daffodil bulbs in our tiny neglected front garden this weekend; he made some trenches in the grass around the edges of the lawn next to the driveway and street, then we just put down the bulbs, packed fairly close together. Then we tried to put the original clumps of grass back as they were. This is the third year running we've put down new daffodil bulbs at home, but I haven't put them in the front for years and years (and those seem to have all disappeared now). Obviously daffodils aren't edible, but they make me so happy in the spring, especially when everything else is miserable.
My kitchen garden is much less orderly than my allotment: it's a tangle of weeds with some random small patches of veg, such as a couple of immature cabbages next to the twenty or so pickling cucumber vines, with a kohlrabi or two hiding amongst several tall lettuces gone to seed, next to another fifteen or so strawberry plants, next to...etc. Everything is still producing just a little bit so I'm not quite ready to clear away--though it really needs it! So untidy.
No comments:
Post a Comment