I was talking to a fellow allotmenter, just two plots away from mine, who complained it had not been a good growing summer for her. I certainly tried to not to show it, but I had a rather self satisfied feeling at that. True, it's been far too much work, but at least I've earned a fleeting moment of superiority about my yields this year. I gave her a cucumber.
Why has mine in particular been so productive? Here's what I think:
- The inordinate amount of sheet mulching I've done over the last eight years, involving copious amounts of straw and horse manure
- Additionally, the very thick mulch of wood chips covering nearly every bed this year
The annual (or even twice annual) addition of all that organic material when sheet mulching has made my soil incredibly rich and moisture retentive. Even though I've been fighting (and not winning) against couch grass this whole time, my beds have been gradually getting more and more productive, as documented on this blog. I've been using sheet mulch as a strategy against the grass: to knock it back long enough for my transplants to get a foothold. Then do it all over again at the end of the season when the grass takes back over.
Wood chips have been a game changer; until last year I would cover my bare soil with straw from the horse manure pile on site. It served its purpose of keeping in the moisture but also had some drawbacks: enhanced slug habitat, quick to decompose (needing regular top ups), and full of weed and grass seeds. When we began getting free wood chips dumped at the site last summer, many people spread them on their paths; I went a step further and started deep mulching my beds, starting with just a couple as an experiment. Truly, it's been pivotal. It keeps in the moisture like the straw mulch did, but has no seeds. It also lasts much longer before needing a top up, and slugs don't hide in it as well. Maybe the woodlice hide in it, but I had woodlice when I used straw mulch too.
I suspect if I had access to wood chips and not horse manure/straw at the beginning of my allotment journey in 2018, my soil might not be as excellent as it is now (I still have access to both). I'm also a more experienced allotmenter than I was then, even though I had already been gardening for years by that point. Growing veg in a couple small beds is far different from keeping a full allotment ticking over year round, and I've learned how to do this little by little. My overarching goal has been full self reliance in vegetables: I've never been so close to achieving this, and as well as my hard work and experience, the vast improvement in my soil has been a key factor, in my opinion.
![]() |
| The son was very impressed when I went up to show him (it's a single bunch!), August 2026 |

No comments:
Post a Comment