I think my allotment has passed peak zuc. Going from around 5# per day to 1# seems like a downturn, right? I can handle 1# per day. I've left one to grow into a marrow to save for seed; this is one I grew from seed saved last year. The fruit I saved from was a typical dark green zuc but had obviously crossed with a different variety as its offspring grew fat striped tasty zucs this year. Since it's been growing amongst several different varieties again I expect it will be something even more fun next year.
In the face of an overload of tomatoes, I decided to try fermenting a large jar, crushed into sauce. To be on the safe side, I generally go kind of heavy on the salt when I ferment veg, usually 2 T of salt per L; the tomatoes haven't really gone very active, at least not yet--probably because of that extra salt. I've made fermented salsa in the past using both red and green tomatoes, so I'm somewhat confident; I've just never done it with just straight tomatoes. I have a 1.8 L jar on the go and two more empty jars to try: one the same size and a 3.3 L.
I went through the back of my kitchen cupboards and found some jars I'd forgotten about: a cucumber relish I'd made back in 2021, and a couple jars of dehydrated garlic stems which had no flavor. Also two jars of caramel and rhubarb jam which were still good but we are a low- to no-sugar family--I decided to make a clean break and compost them (just one little taste!). Any fruit preserves I make from now on will have no sugar added. While this liberated a few jars for me, it's not enough to deal with the tomato influx! Instead they will do for dehydrated veg, and I have a little more room for now.
The son and I have been renovating a couple beds which have just been cleared at the allotment: the Charlotte potato bed (finally) and the mange tout pea bed. We've spent a couple hours forking out grass runners and spreading new wood chips on top; I'm hoping to transplant some quick brassicas and fennel there, but the brassica seedlings have been attacked by flea beetle and look very sorry indeed. I don't know how the flea beetles got to them so high up on my patio table, draped with insect mesh; I'm not sure if they'll pull through actually. At least the fennel and lettuce seedlings (all sown on the same day) look healthy, though small still. Maybe I'll risk the lettuce at the allotment too, usually a no go because of slugs; I risked the pak choi earlier this summer and it paid off--the lettuce might pay off too.
Still picking purple snap peas, small aubergines, salad and pickling cucumbers, French beans, a little cabbage, and a beet or two. Thinking about a couple onions, kohlrabi, komatsuna and fennel. The last batch of lettuce bolted in the hot/dry, but my newly sown seeds of beets and radishes are sprouting up.
No comments:
Post a Comment