17 September 2024

Caterpillar carnage

Several cabbage plants growing under white insect mesh
Cabbages still got leaves, September 2024
When I pulled up all the caterpillar-y kohlrabi, I trimmed and left the leaves laying on the empty bed;  it was near enough the mini daikon radishes that several caterpillars were able to crawl underneath the netting and discover it.  At least they didn't discover the pak choi and cabbages further on.  I don't know if the radishes will still have time to grow more leaves in order to make roots--though luckily I have another bed at the allotment (not pictured) which is completely covered and untouched;  this one I buried all the edges of the mesh, not just weighed it down with bricks.
Several broccoli plants completely defoliated by cabbage caterpillars
Poor broccoli, September 2024
The purple sprouting broccoli right next to the cabbages (cabbages in the first picture, broccoli above) were unnetted and have suffered the consequences.  Though I made my best effort to de-caterpillar, it was not enough.  I am hopeful it will leaf out again;  harvest won't be until next spring and I've had this happen in the past and still got a good harvest.  And again, my allotment broccoli (not pictured) is in much better shape than my garden, despite it also being unnetted.  Why?  Not quite sure, but maybe fewer butterflies?  I did pick caterpillars off the allotment ones too, but all the plants there still have leaves, unlike at home.

The caterpillars are pretty much past now;  only a few stragglers remain.  The rest are no doubt happily tucked up in their cocoons, dreaming of next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment