09 July 2024

Finished yet?

A garden bed mulched with straw, planted with small cucumber plants with sticks for supports, yellow marigolds bordering
Little cucumber plants with even littler zuc between, July 2024
Pretty much every seedling in trays and pots has now been planted out, barring one small tray of late sown beets.  I've only just planted out the Savoy cabbages--not as many as I'd hoped--and the second batch of lettuce at home, leaving me just about half a bed unplanted.  Although it should have been all cabbages, never fear, I still have a plan for this:  the pak choi (broadcast into a large pot and just newly sprouting) and daikon radish (to be sown directly) can go in this small space. 
Two potted houseplants on a small patio table with a watering can, a fence and garden behind
Houseplants having summer vacation (I put the rest out later on: aloes and spider plants), July 2024
Up at the allotment I've newly sheet mulched over the spent broad beans bed, with the son and husband's help.  I've put down one last sowing of beets, and like the bed next to it, have completely enclosed it in insect mesh including burying all the edges.  This is in the hopes of excluding slugs and bugs long enough for the beets to sprout and grow a bit.  

I've also planted out the very newly sprouted cucumber seedlings (four in total) in containers to replace ones lost to slugs.  Not only did I take the precautions described in my previous post, I even took a tub of vaseline with me and smeared the rim of the pots with it to be doubly cautious.

Close up of two multi petaled purple poppies, greenery behind
Self-seeded in my veg patch, July 2024
But I'm not finished yet.  I'm done with the spring and summer sowing/planting, but now I'm moving on to autumn and winter.  Luckily in my climate I can have veg growing year round;  while it's somewhat limited in winter, if I want anything growing then I have to get it going now--in fact the window of opportunity is gone for some things already:  Brussels sprouts for instance (I decided against them this year but may try again next).  My other long season crops are in now:  leeks, cabbage, purple sprouting broccoli.  Now it's time to start daikon radish, turnip and fennel, along with regular sowings of pak choi and lettuce.  And later on it'll be cauliflower and spring cabbage too.  No rest for me yet--winter's coming, and that's when I'll rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment