20 February 2024

February sowing and pruning

More than a hundred broad bean seeds later, I've almost run out of small pots.  Hopefully they sprout quickly so I can transplant, otherwise I will run out!  They are all stacked up in trays on my patio table now, waiting for a leaf or two to emerge.  I don't normal start these in pots, but I decided to try it this year, to improve on survival rates (I would estimate that my usual pre-sprouting and then sowing direct sometimes results in 25% or less survival:  pretty bad).

I sowed some warm season seeds in trays for my kitchen windowsill for later pricking out:  tomatoes, chilis, etc.   I used to sow these individually in modules but I don't bother now:  it takes up too many trays.  I sow at least two or even three different kinds of seed in a tray with a little stick as a divider, and label which side is which;  I will prick them out into modules or well spaced in trays and then pot on to small pots as they grow.  These take a lot of babying!  But I like growing and eating them.

In anticipation of an apple harvest this year--my little trees have produced biennially ever since I planted them and last year had no apples--I very lightly pruned them, taking care not to cut any branches with buds on them.  The Sparta tree had twenty or more water sprouts without any buds; the Laxton Fortune is less vigorous (and a partial tip bearer unlike Sparta) so I took only about three smaller branches off, all of which were growing too high/in the wrong direction.  Both trees grow against my fence and I prune/train them down to within my reach, about 2 m tall;  this is only necessary once a year to keep them in their allotted spaces.  Luckily the growth can be kept in check easily with a pair of hand loppers.

I also pruned my fig tree and its companion grape vine, trying to keep them both within their own spaces too.  I have to be careful not to let the vine overspread onto next door's conservatory--which it is planted next to--but onto its own arbor.  To that end, I keep it pruned down to one main stem growing up one of the arbor supports.  I have to pull off wayward shoots during the growing season too, about once a month.

The last winter pruning to do is the roses and currants (black, red and white).  I have some nicely rooted redcurrant cuttings from two years ago that need transplanting;  it's so easy to get currant cuttings rooted:  take some pruned wood, stick it in the ground, leave until next winter.  I save all the other woody prunings for my kindling pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment