14 February 2023

The first seeds of the year

It's not till March that I get the main bulk of my seeds started but that doesn't stop me getting a few things going in February.  This month I've begun with:

Broad beans and snap peas.  These get chucked into a plastic bag with a handful of wet soil/compost, and placed in my unheated garage to sprout in situ.  I prefer to pre-sprout them before I sow them in the ground, to give them a better chance of actually coming up (and I do them in the garage so I don't have to acclimatize them to cold temps like I would if I'd done them in the house).  Direct sown, mine usually never even appear.  Mice?  Slugs?  Both, no doubt.  I started 150 broad beans and 200 snap peas last week.  When they are sown, I'll pre-sprout one more batch.

Onions.  Today I broadcast a small handful (maybe 100 seeds) onto a small tray on my kitchen windowsill, to be pricked out individually once they pop up.  I don't have a good track record with onions.  The only year I got a decent harvest was the year the rest of my garden drowned (that was one soggy summer).  So I presume they need a bit more water than I usually provide, but to be honest I'm probably not going to water them any more than usual this year either.  We'll see how it goes;  they'll be planted out into well-manured soil at the allotment, at least.

Tomatoes.  In the past I've sown tomatoes a bit later, but last year I sowed them early and was much happier with the resulting harvest.  These I did today and they are next to the onion tray on my windowsill, both wrapped in plastic bags to keep a little more warmth in.  Unlike the onions however, they'll be potted on once or twice after pricking out, and not planted out until May.  I have cherry toms, salad toms (a variety I've been saving myself for years), and plum toms from a free packet--I mean, why not?  Maybe this will be the year of the tomato.

No comments:

Post a Comment