19 October 2021

State of the flock, October 2021

Our eight chickens have finally made the move back to the allotment after spending all summer at home;  I grew some excellent sweetcorn, squash and beans in their allotment yard while they were absent.  They are cleaning up the residue of these now, and will probably stay at the allotment all winter unless we have another enclosure order.  They are currently laying 1-3 eggs a day.

I'm hopeful we'll get the plot fully fenced sometime this winter--mainly because I want our ducks to go up and clean up the slugs.  So many slugs up there, just crying out for a duck to come slurp them up.  As of right now, our six ducks are free ranging at home, mowing the lawn and eating bugs and slugs here;  they're not on the veg patch just yet, but I'll try to move the fence to allow them access to it but not the patio--they poo too much for that.  I don't think any of the three females are laying right now, but as none of them lay in a dedicated nest I can't be certain.  I haven't found any eggs for several weeks anyway.

And Peep the duckling?  He is definitely a boy and his days are numbered, alongside one of the older drakes whom the son named Aggro (for good reason--that duck is a jerk).  We will have just the one drake by springtime, which is plenty.  I'm only waiting for it to be a bit cooler before I kill the two of them;  twice it's cooled down to around 12C during the week only for the weekends to climb back up to 19/20C.  I should have them done by November.

No comments:

Post a Comment