29 June 2021

Growing trees from seed

Hazel seedlings in small pots
I've got five hazel seedlings altogether, June 2021

I wasn't sure if I would get any hazels left alive, as something was nipping off the tops as they emerged in their pots.  Probably a slug, despite the fact I had the tray of them on my patio table.  I also found one seed pulled out of its pot, root broken off--maybe a rodent, though it didn't actually eat the seed, so perhaps a bird tugged it out.  Despite all that, from a good double handful of nuts stratifying over winter, I now have five hazels with strong growth on them, and I have high hopes for their future.  I collected the nuts myself last fall, and they were all good tasty big ones, so maybe in a few more years I'll be collecting them off my own bushes.

Quince seedling in a planter
One year old quince, June 2021
I also have three quince seedlings, all sown from shop bought quinces (I didn't even properly sow them, just scattered them on top of some patio planters in the middle of winter).  One is a full year old, and two are newly emerged, though all were sown the same year:  2019.  The year old one is big enough that I will transplant it into the garden this autumn, and I will try to keep the other two alive (a predecessor dried up in a too-small pot).  I'll also try to keep the hazels alive!

Incidently, I still have a little peach tree in a planter, barely hanging on.  It too was sown from the seed of a shop bought peach, but has been badly affected by leaf curl every year.  I don't think it'll last to be honest, although it is several years old.  It flowered last year for the first time, but has not yet fruited.  You can see its little trunk in the photo above, just behind the quince.

No comments:

Post a Comment