17 November 2020

Coming up: homegrown Thanksgiving

Cauliflower plants growing in a garden
Cauliflowers in front, Brussels sprouts behind, Oct 2020
I'm kind of impressed with myself and the family for getting enough work done on the garden and allotment this year to still have measurable fresh food out there.  It's mainly brassicas, celery and some leeks;  however there are also a few more runner beans and tomatoes, and the winter self-seeding greens are now coming up:  mizuna, miners lettuce, lambs lettuce.  That's not counting the potatoes, pumpkins and squashes still hanging out in the kitchen (and living room)!

I really can't take all the credit for this, as the husband and son did step up this spring and summer while I was recovering from anemia.  I did my part too however, and we're all looking forward to some homegrown holiday eating. 

This year our Thanksgiving menu will feature:

  • Mashed or roast potatoes
  • Brussels sprouts, cabbage, leek, green beans (frozen from earlier this year)
  • Gravy with herbs and garlic 
  • Pumpkin pie (including our own hens' eggs)
  • Blackberry/elderberry wine (while I did not grow these, I picked them and brewed the wine myself)

We're only feeding our own family of four, as the country is in lockdown and we're not allowed to meet our friends as usual.  I've suggested a pie swap as a consolation--we normally both bring a pie, and my offering is always pumpkin of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment