24 September 2020

Eating and preserving runner beans

Runners, Sep 2020

 After a very slow start, my runner beans finally started producing enough to actually bother with.  I suspect it was the sunny/dry weather that stopped them setting any beans, despite flowering profusely.  It's a little cooler and wetter and there are lots of beans. 

But.  

It's the end of September.  Even though they are still flowering like mad, I know I only have a couple weeks left, if that.

From left: dried figs, bottled apples, dried runner beans, dried peas; Sep 2020

We love runner beans (and for the past few summers they have felt like a real treat, seeing as their season has been so short) and have been eating them every other day or so, but I'm still trying to skim off some of the harvest and put them in the dehydrator.  I chop them into big bite sized pieces, blanch them for a few minutes in boiling water, then dehydrated until brittle. 

Oh, and those baskets of apples from earlier this month?  I bottled apple halves as shown in the photo above, made applesauce (frozen), made a few jars of apple butter; and along with eating them fresh for several weeks, baked them unsweetened with just a little cinnamon and nutmeg and served with homemade custard:  a big hit.  Oh, and the peels and cores are fermenting into scrap vinegar on my counter too. We finally got to the end of them--now it's time to start scavenging some from further afield!

No comments:

Post a Comment