23 June 2020

Mostly brassicas

A cabbage seedling growing among weeds
Little red cabbage, Jun 2020
The brassicas I planted out earlier have really come on well here in the garden.  The ones at the allotment have been badly affected by slugs (and possibly pigeons--but I haven't caught them at it so not positive);  all the red cabbages except one have completely disappeared there, though the green cabbages are still holding on.  As I had enough spare seedlings I planted the remainder here, and made the decision to have a mostly brassica garden this year;  nearly everything else has gone to the allotment.

However, I did plant a few other things here, including some runner beans (again, the allotment beans are all nearly gone, so I'm glad I've got a few at home), four tomato plants and a dozen cherry tomatoes (these in planters), and half a dozen zuccini plants.  Even though they take up so much room, I thought I'd keep the zuccinis at home seeing as I didn't have enough to spare in case of slugs (I had plenty of spare brassicas).

The brassicas here include red and green cabbages, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli.  I also have some spring purple sprouting broccoli seedlings just about ready to plant out, but am kind of out of room now!  They can grown on a little longer in their pots to hopefully be big enough to outgrow the slugs at the allotment.

No comments:

Post a Comment