24 July 2018

State of the flock, July 2018 (new chicks!)

I mentioned last month that I had been given six fertilized eggs for our broody hen Cookie to sit on.  I really mulled over whether I wanted another six small flighty chickens (Leghorn eggs), but in the end decided to give them to Cookie and deal with the outcome as it happened.  The Leghorn is a pretty amazing egg layer, after all, and we really do want more eggs.

Well, after three weeks, we've seen three little chickies with Cookie and her new broody partner, Rainbow.  Rainbow is a rescue hen whose breed is known for its definite non-broody behavior, yet she decided to join Cookie on the nest in the last week and the two of them hatched the chicks and are now co-parenting.  I don't know if Rainbow will carry on to the end, but it's nice to have some back up for Cookie and the chicks, especially as Rainbow is a full sized chicken, unlike Cookie.

We haven't separated them from the main flock this time, although in these first few days they've had the coop to themselves during the day (the husband has been shutting them in first thing in the morning and then opening it back up right before dark).  We hope they'll integrate smoothly when Cookie decides to venture outside with them, but as a precaution, I've opened up the entire back (non-veg) garden, so everyone is free ranging and there is plenty of space.



One of the adult hens had a very bad prolapse a few days ago and needed to be put down.  She was the last of the Australorps, and only a year old--that entire batch died young:  a weak strain?  Or just bad luck?  I had to kill her, as the husband has a fractured rib (bicycle accident) and can't lift/pull.  I used the broomstick method and it was quick and clean;  we buried her afterward.



The earlier batch of chicks (Australorp/Orpington cross) are bigger than all the other adult hens now but I still can't tell if any are girls.  Some of them continue posturing/fighting each other, but not all at once;  and only one has distinguishing features (almost definitely a boy), so I can't tell if they're all taking turns, or if one of them isn't doing it!  However, in light of the above Australorp issues, the husband and I have agreed that as soon as any start crowing, they're going to the pot.  I don't think they'll be worth breeding from.

No comments:

Post a Comment