17 July 2018

More than I can chew...?

Last November I applied for an allotment with the local council.  This month I was offered one, and of course I accepted right away.  But, uh, is this a good idea:  having two gardens in two separate locations?

When I envisioned taking on an allotment last winter, I imagined I would plant bulk crops like potatoes, peas, sweetcorn, and the like:  things that get harvested all at once and don't need too much maintenance;  things that store/preserve easily.  And maybe some of those to supplement the chickens' feed too.  I even considered keeping a breeding flock, as we wouldn't have to worry about a rooster annoying the neighbors.

It's too late in the season to plant out those bulk crops now.  If it was rainy I could do a batch of peas, but it's been too hot and dry.  I'll have to focus instead on improving the soil and trying for a few winter crops like cabbages--I've got about a dozen Savoy seedlings potted on, waiting for a bare spot in my own garden;  these could go out, as well as the cauliflowers, though the purple sprouting broccoli needs daily attention at harvest time--ideal for just outside my kitchen door and no further.

And I'd have to really get into visiting every day, rain or shine, before putting animals on an allotment;  it's not something I'm ready to do quite yet.

Luckily, the husband and I discussed at length the amount of labor involved before applying for an allotment;  he agreed to take a more active role if I got one.  Our own garden is mainly my endeavor;  he and the eight year old participate only when specifically asked.  The husband pledged to visit regularly (probably mainly on weekends), and as the site is close to school, the eight year old and I can visit on our way home.

Can we, our little family, do this?  Can we up our game and produce even more food--maybe even all our own vegetables, year round, in the near future?

No comments:

Post a Comment