11 December 2018

In the allotment, December 2018

A very small cabbage plant growing in a garden
Cabbage cutting (not at the allotment), Nov 2018
I'm gradually adding to the sheet mulch at the allotment;  between a quarter and a third of it is now covered, smothering grass (and some nettles, thistles and dock).  A fellow allotmenteer gave me some big sheets of cardboard, and I'm collecting boxes from work--about four at a time, none particularly big!  Well, it's better than nothing.  I also collect weeds and trimmings from the communal waste area, to pile on top of the cardboard;  this weighs it down (the cardboard smothers weeds underneath and also prevents new seeds germinating);  it will also compost slowly in place, adding to soil fertility.  The husband set up a ramshackle compost bin from pallets;  some of these trimmings go here too, and hopefully we'll have a bit of compost next year.

Four of my chickens are still tractoring the uncovered portion, strip by strip.  I think they're a bit fed up, now it's cold, wet and dark;  all of them are either currently or have just finished molting--none are laying. 

There is one bed with Savoy cabbages in it still, also growing grass and a thistle or two;  I keep hoeing, but I think they're winning.  A couple of the smallest cabbages have disappeared, but the rest are holding on.  Earlier in autumn, the husband brought home a few big sacks of spent coffee grounds from a cafe at his work, which he generously mulched them with--most of it has been incorporated into the soil now (hoeing, rain, but hopefully earthworms too).  It really could do with some cardboard as well, but I don't want to attract the slugs.  Instead, I better ask the husband for more coffee grounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment