18 May 2018

Unusually warm

Last year we had a warm early summer.  That was the very first in my entire 13 years of living in this country--the other 12 were cool and rainy.  This May has been similar to last year, though I'm not ruling out a switch back to cool for the month of June.  Still, it's prompted me to get my runner and French beans out earlier, and I've got tomatoes and squashes outside hardening off for planting out in a week or so.

Because we had a late, cold winter however, some things have had a later start:  like my fruit tree blossoms.  The almond tree was a month late in flowering and I wonder if it'll have time to ripen--I've been harvesting normally in October, and I don't know if it can carry on if it's a month late in ripening too.  The rest of the fruit should manage though, as the latest I normally harvest is September (for Sparta apples).  And some fruit seems exceptionally early anyway, like the figs:  it's only just putting out new leaves but has some nearly full sized new fruits--can't wait for those!

I'll exercise caution when planting out the most tender veg, but in the meantime I'll enjoy the unseasonable weather while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment