13 February 2018

Waiting for a little spring

A frosty, mulched garden bed with brick stepping stones
I moved the (more attractive) stepping stones onto the lawn, and put brick replacements on the veg beds.  I think that's a volunteer foxglove in foreground and Brussels sprout to the right, Jan 2018
It's still cold outside!  Some years we've had a mild February, and a couple of times in the last decade or so it's been brutal;  this year has been cold but not overwhelming.  But a little too much to tempt me outside much.  I've been picking a few salad leaves every week or two, pulling up some celery once in a while, and having a quick check every few days. 

In the warmer months, I'm out in the garden as much as possible:  making the rounds, doing a little planting/harvesting/general maintenance, relaxing and enjoying.  By the end of autumn, I've got a definite tan and golden highlights in my hair--now in mid-February, that's all faded.  I've been staying warm and dry indoors, and while I can feel the ghost of that outdoor itch once in a while, it's too weak to pay much attention to.  I'm in no hurry just yet.

I've done a few indoor-y garden things, such as sowing a few trays of seeds on the kitchen windowsill, and starting off a handful of broad beans (I pre-sprout them before planting out).  Most of my winter garden jobs have been done, little by little:  pruning, mulching, tidying.  When spring finally comes around, I'll be ready.  Until then, I'm happy to hibernate just a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment