23 August 2017

The giant cabbage, defeated at last

A woman holding a giant Savoy cabbage
My mother and the giant cabbage, August 2017
We served the giant cabbage at every dinner for a week while my parents visited, and still hadn't cracked into the head by the end of it.  In fact, I was so sick of the sight of it, my mother and I made a big jar of sauerkraut to finish it off;  the whole cabbage after trimming weighed in at around six pounds. 

In fact, I've got three big jars of kraut on the go, as I decided to pick the giant's smaller sibling (recall the smallest one, which weighed just over a pound after trimming) to prevent any more caterpillar damage;  I think it was supporting about a hundred of those pesky little bugs but was still more than a match for them, weighing around three pounds after trimming.  It sure took a lot of preparation though--all those leaves had to be scrubbed individually to rid them of caterpillars and caterpillar poo.
Young cabbage plants growing in a garden bed
Slightly bug-eaten young cabbage, August 2017
All the mature Savoys are finished now, and the next generation are planted out and growing well;  I'm picking off caterpillars daily and am mostly keeping on top of them.  I still have one more cabbage ready to harvest now:  a summer variety I sowed in early spring.  It has a few other compatriots, none of which have formed a head.  Still, one's plenty right now.  We've been racing to keep up with the cabbage and the rest of the vegetables have been a bit neglected (sorry about that, chard)!

No comments:

Post a Comment