26 August 2017

How I record my harvest

My official harvest records are on little pieces of note paper, stuck to the front of my fridge;  once I fill up a page, it goes upstairs to my garden notebook, where I keep not only my harvest totals, but also my garden journal, random plans and to-do lists.
A cluster of runner beans growing amongst leaves and flowers
Runner beans, August 2017
For each thing I harvest from the garden, I write down the date, the item, and the weight or number picked.  At the end of the month, I tally it all together and record it on this blog.  I (or the husband or seven year old, whoever collected them) write down egg totals daily on a separate sheet.  Eggs are tallied by week and then by month, along with total feed bought.  Incidently, the seven year old has his own record for eggs:  he's keeping track of three chickens with distinctive egg colors (Cucky, as he spells it, is in last place, with Rock and Florry in second and first, respectively).

At the end of the year, I record everything down onto a big sheet of paper in my garden notebook, and staple the little pieces of note paper to it.  I like to add up the totals of each item, along with the month(s) they were harvested.  This gives me a better idea of when to plant things, and how much to plant.
An oldfashioned set of baking scales, with fresh runner beans in the weighing bowl
My set of scales
My scale came from a charity shop several years ago;  technically it's intended for baking.  The weights are measured in ounces, and I have a 1 pound, a 8 oz, a 4 oz, a 2 oz, a 1 oz, and a 0.5 oz weight.  This means I can weigh up to just under 2 pounds with my scale, and am accurate to within half an ounce.  To be honest I'd prefer metric, but until I find a set of weights in grams this will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment