15 July 2017

The giant cabbage

Photo of a mature Savoy cabbage growing in a garden bed
January King 3 cabbage, July 2017
When I cleared away the purple sprouting broccoli in May, I discovered this little Savoy (winter) cabbage hiding underneath them, which got missed when all the other cabbages got eaten in February/March.  It was so small, I figured it might grow a little and we could eat the greens.  Well, little did I know--it's now around three feet across and forming a big compact head. 

I don't know if you can tell from the photo, but I've been planting this year's winter cabbages (same variety) just behind it.  I was going to pull it up to make more room for the new ones, but the husband pleaded its case:  "it's not fully grown yet!"  Yikes.  It gets to stay for a little while longer, until it's fully grown.  Four feet across, maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment